Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Do I dare to eat a peach?

I was speaking with a friend yesterday about poker, and why I never learned to play. I explained that I hadn't invested the time and effort because I am averse to gambling -- and I'm averse to gambling because I am cheap. Why participate in ventures where I am likely to end up tossing my money away? To this, he replied that I was making a wise choice. After all, he said, if you don't risk anything, you don't lose anything.

And when he put it that way, it suddenly didn't sound nearly so wise.

I took our conversation not as a sign to learn poker, but as an impetus to become more active in areas where I would otherwise be happy to complacently drift. Let's take this blog, for instance. It is easy to present oneself to an audience of .... four. So, in the spirit of adventure, I hereby pledge to take the necessary steps to get this blog some actual readers (who aren't somehow obligated, by blood or friendship, to read). Here is my plan -- participate in various cross-blog events, such as Tuesdays with Dorrie. I believe Sugar High Friday shall be my first foray into the that world. Perhaps I should get pumped, Rocky-style, and go for a run around the mean streets of...Long Island. Perhaps not.

No comments: